It may have taken a while to enter mainstream popularity, but competitive video gaming – or eSports – is now firmly established as a legitimate sport. The industry has demonstrated and maintained remarkable growth in recent years and there’s no sign of its slowing any time soon.
There has also been a marked increase in eSports betting thanks to increased exposure and this branch of sports betting is no longer considered a niche market. If you’re looking to get started with eSports betting, there are a few things that should be considered and a few hot tips you’ll need to be set on the path to success.
Factors to Consider Ahead of Betting
Just like any form of sports betting, eSports NZ online betting requires careful consideration and plenty of research should be done ahead of getting started. The following are just a few of the factors you should consider before placing your first eSports wager.
- How much do you know about eSports?
- How much do you know about sports betting generally?
- Are you participating for fun or profit?
- How much are you prepared to spend?
If you’re in two-minds about any of the above questions, you need to go back to the drawing board. eSports betting shouldn’t be considered as any different from other types of sports betting and you wouldn’t place a football or tennis wager without ever having watched a match.
A Step-By-Step Guide to Getting Started
Once you’ve done your research – much like finding the best NRL Premiership odds – and have definitive answers to the above questions, it will be time to get started. Fortunately getting started it the simplest process of all and is only a 4-step process.
Step 1: Decide on a Budget
Never spend more than you can afford.
Step 2: Find a Top-Notch Sports Betting Site
Do plenty of research and sign up with a reliable sports betting website which offers a wide range of eSports betting markets.
Step 3: Decide on Your Market
Decide on which games to focus on as there are plenty of options. The most popular markets are Dota 2, Overwatch, League of Legends, Counter-Strike Global Offensive, and Starcraft II.
Step 4: Place Your Wagers
The moment you’ve been waiting for! Make a prediction and place your first eSports wager.
Types of eSports Wagers
As the popularity of eSports betting grows, so do the options for the types of wagers available to choose from. Here are the most popular types of eSports betting wagers.
- Match Winner: the most popular type of eSports wager – simply predict which team will win a match
- Outrights/Futures: ahead of major tournaments you’ll be able to select the team you think will win the tournament outright
- Totals: a prediction on whether the final score will be above or below the line set by the bookmaker
- Correct Score: a prediction on what the exact final score of a match will be
- Specials/Props: wagers on events that happen within a match, which may or may not affect the final outcome